FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SIO2 Remote Application for Testing

+4
matt
JonPru
meteors
uprise78
8 posters

Go down

SIO2 Remote Application for Testing Empty SIO2 Remote Application for Testing

Post  uprise78 Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:40 am

If anyone is interested, I made an application that runs on you iPhone/iPod and allows all input (touches and accelerometer) to be transferred over to the simulator. It is setup specifically for SIO2 projects but it would be trivial to use it for other applications.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

SIO2 Remote Application for Testing Empty Re: SIO2 Remote Application for Testing

Post  meteors Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Hey uprise,

Can you please explain what this could be used for?

Thanks!! Best,
-joshua
meteors
meteors

Back to top Go down

SIO2 Remote Application for Testing Empty Re: SIO2 Remote Application for Testing

Post  uprise78 Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:16 pm

SIO2 Remote is used to speed up testing. You can test out how the touch and accelerometer will work using your iPhone to control the simulator. It saves you the time of compiling and installing on the device to test out things that require the accelerometer.

When you are debugging in the simulator all you need to do is open the "SIO2 Remote" application on your iPhone and it will transfer all of the touch and accelerometer events to the simulator. It's basically a remote control to simulate touches and accelerometer on the simulator. (A simulator for the simulator). See this thread for discussion about using the Wiimote in the same fashion: http://forum.sio2interactive.com/sio2-engine-f3/wiimote-framework-t192.htm.

Basically, I have it setup so that you add one line to the templateAppDelegate.h file. You then compile and run your application on the simulator. You can then grab your iPhone and open "SIO2 Remote" and you can use the accelerometer and touch screen of your iPhone to control the simulator.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  JonPru Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Uprise,
Very interested in that. that would save me so much time. How are you going to distribute it?

JonPru

Back to top Go down

Post  uprise78 Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:28 pm

That depends....if sio2 wants it in the source tree, that would be easiest. If not, I can stick it either in a source controlled environment (though I don't really see the source changing very often) or just send out .zip files of the project. It will of course be available to any members of the SIO2 forum who request it at the very least. I will clean up the source a little bit tonight and ready it for distribution.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  matt Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:26 pm

[x] Please add this to the source tree.

This would have saved me some hours of waiting when I tried debugging the controls on the device. Great contribution, thanks alot!

Best,
Matt

matt

http://elfrun.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JonPru Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Very excited Uprise.
This will speed up productivity just as much as my brand new 22 inch second monitor I picked up;-) I am looking forward to it.
Jonathan

JonPru

Back to top Go down

Post  uprise78 Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:52 pm

I just picked up a 20" 3 days ago. Sure beats the laptop screen.

I've got just about all the code organized with only one small item that I would like to remedy before passing it on.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  Blamm! Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:25 pm

as am I! would be very excited to have part of the source tree.

Blamm!

Back to top Go down

Post  ludi Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:55 am

I am interressted in this application as well! The source tree or a zip to download would be great!

ludi

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:47 am

Im looking forward to see your code as well, send me a copy of the source with a test sample I will review it and probably release it with the 1.3.2 revision...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  uprise78 Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:42 am

sio2interactive wrote:Im looking forward to see your code as well, send me a copy of the source with a test sample I will review it and probably release it with the 1.3.2 revision...

"SIO2 Remote" and tutorial_09 with the one line modification needed to get the remote working were just sent over to you. Let me know if you need anything else.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  uprise78 Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Just to keep everyone updated, I sent the files over to sio2 for inclusion in the next version but due to the fact that they have external requirements he would rather not include the changes. I am in the process of rewriting the networking code which previously relied on the CFNetwork framework to use normal C sockets. I already have the send and receive sockets up and running along with the protocol wrap/unwrap code. I figured that since I was rewriting the whole thing I might as well redo the GUI as well so that is redone. The GUI is way better and the unpacking of data is orders of magnitude faster with the new protocol. The only downside is that I used UDP instead of TCP but that will probably make things easier for most people because then you don't need to bother figuring out your Mac's ip address.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  Blamm! Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:43 pm

cool cool

Blamm!

Back to top Go down

Post  uprise78 Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:37 pm

Another Update:

I redid the whole interface and removed the CFNetwork framework requirement using C sockets instead. SIO2 has the files and will be including the 'SIO2 Remote' in a future update once he makes the modification necessary for integration.

In included a few screenshots so you can see what the interface looks like. Integration is as simple as adding one line to the templateAppDelegate.h file and it has conditional compilation so it won't end up in your device builds.

Main view for entering IP information and turning the network connection on/off.
SIO2 Remote Application for Testing Main10

Connecting to socket screen. This became necessary when I put in wrong IP addresses and realized it looked connected when it was trying to connect.
SIO2 Remote Application for Testing Loadin10

This is the touch view that allows you to send touches in addition to accelerometer movement to the simulator. To close it, you have to press both red X's at the same time.
SIO2 Remote Application for Testing Touchv10

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  meteors Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:49 am

Have a look at this:

http://hci.rwth-aachen.de/multitouch

Best,
-joshua
meteors
meteors

Back to top Go down

Post  uprise78 Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 am

That looks pretty neat for controlling a mac from the iPhone but a bit different than the requirements for SIO2 and just iPhone development. SIO2 doesn't like to put anything into the SDK that requires any additional frameworks for portability reasons. You could actually just reroute the responses from the 'SIO2 Remote' very easily to do exactly what is done with the frame work that you linked.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  Blamm! Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:59 pm

good idea with the two red x's.

Blamm!

Back to top Go down

Post  ooftish.com Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:07 pm

uprise78,
Can you add me to your mailing list for SIO2 Remote.
Thanks

ooftish.com

Back to top Go down

Post  matt Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 pm

Not being able to test on a device is a big problem for many of us since we don't want to spend money on a developer program participation if we don't even have a prototype running which proves a concept.

I'd vote to publish a stand-alone remote application in the AppStore free of charge. It would allow anybody to test - at least controls - with a real device but without a developer license.

Not sure whether this conforms to the license or not, though.

Best,
Matt

matt

http://elfrun.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ludi Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Where can I download this application?

Thanks a lot

ludi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down