FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maya Export.

4 posters

Go down

Maya Export. Empty Maya Export.

Post  Drykan Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:01 pm

I've been skimming through the topics and see this has come up a bit... but no definite answer.

Is there a Maya Exporter avail instead of Blender?

Thanks All!
Drykan
Drykan

Back to top Go down

Maya Export. Empty Re: Maya Export.

Post  meteors Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm

No. At least not yet. A couple of people have alluded to making one; try using the advanced search and search for "maya".

You can export your objects from Maya in .OBJ format, and import them easily into Blender.

Best,
-joshua
meteors
meteors

Back to top Go down

Post  Drykan Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Yeah, that was the plan w/o an exporter.

Thanks!

-Daniel
Drykan
Drykan

Back to top Go down

Post  josgraha Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm

Maya supports Python scripts so it's technically possible at least but some calls would have to be made that could flag things for rigid body physics and similar technical issues because he's using some Blender specific features to flag items inside the SiO2 engine. In other words it's not just a matter of exporting the scene. Additionally he has hooks for Lua scripts and I don't think that Maya supports Lua so you would be without that feature at least in Maya. I've been thinking about it for a while and if I had the Maya scripting skills I would have gone for it since I am familiar with Python. Honestly though I think he is onto something because Blender is just so configurable and fast. Additionally Blender has some real time features such as the Blender Game features where Maya does not. However Maya is much nicer for modeling and animating. I am really leaning more towards using FBX and writing some importer there that will optimize the animations into keyframe/morph but I know little about low-level GL animations. However the FBX API /SDK is open and pretty well documented on the Autodesk site. Not sure if it compiles on MacOS though. Maybe that's a non-issue since one could theoretically convert from FBX to SiO2 specific using chunks of his python exporter script. The real problem is that most of us don't have the same skillset that the SiO2 author has and he is way ahead of us in terms of understanding the implementation details. I think you have to be at that level (or pretty close) before diving into something that can push into the SiO2 engine. I would rather spend the time on the game title than tools that help out my workflow. Sad (sad truth)

josgraha

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:25 pm

If someone get me a Maya License I'll create an exporter...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down