FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trademarks and other legalities for Products...

4 posters

Go down

Trademarks and other legalities for Products... Empty Trademarks and other legalities for Products...

Post  goldfrapp0x0309 Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:03 pm

Ok, i'm currently developing my new game scheduled for Fall 09. I thought i'd start a topic and get a few questions answered just to know what to do once i have a close to finished product. I basically want to protect the game from being copied either from idea, graphics, audio (since they're all created in house) etc. I know, i know hacking is common on iphone, but i want to protect the product from big companies that may copy the idea etc.
goldfrapp0x0309
goldfrapp0x0309

Back to top Go down

Trademarks and other legalities for Products... Empty Re: Trademarks and other legalities for Products...

Post  meteors Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:31 pm

Idea: not possible unless you shoot them dead

Graphics: screen grabs can be used to successfully steal 2D graphics. 3D textures are more complicated to copy, but not impossible

Sounds: these are probably the easiest to copy

In short, a determined thief can copy just about anything, and copyright law stops at the border. Probably your best course of action is just not to worry about it.

Best,
-j
meteors
meteors

Back to top Go down

Trademarks and other legalities for Products... Empty Re: Trademarks and other legalities for Products...

Post  sio2interactive Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Well in the case of .sio2 file it is basically a .zip so you can add a password to protect it and unlock it with password in code. I never try it myself but I know its possible...

In sio2ResourceExtract:

unzOpenCurrentFilePassword( _SIO2resource->uf, NULL );

Now the password is NULL cuz there is none but... you can always modify the function to receive a password in parameters...

By the way guys lemme know if this is something that you would like to have in the next revision, I can add it...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Trademarks and other legalities for Products... Empty Might tackle

Post  goldfrapp0x0309 Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Well for now, i'll concentrate on the product, but i might allocate a few days to put as much security on the app as possible. Don't iphones have unique id's that i store in my server and contact itunes server to match the id and see if that iphone actually bought the app under the registered itunes account ?
goldfrapp0x0309
goldfrapp0x0309

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Sure but that's the run the application... users can always get access to the .app (that is basically an archive) and mess around with its content... password protected .sio2 would be the best COA for theses matters...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Allright I was curious and test it its working here's the necessary modification that have to be applied on sio2_resource.h / .cc

Code:

void sio2ResourceExtractFile( SIO2resource *_SIO2resource,
                       char        *_fname,
                       char        *_password )
{
   if( unzLocateFile( _SIO2resource->uf, _fname, 1 ) == UNZ_OK )
   { sio2ResourceExtract( _SIO2resource, _password ); }
}

void sio2ResourceExtract( SIO2resource *_SIO2resource,
                    char        *_password )
{
   unz_file_info fi;

char name[ SIO2_MAX_CHAR ] = {""};

unzGetCurrentFileInfo( _SIO2resource->uf, &fi, name, SIO2_MAX_CHAR, NULL, 0, NULL, 0 );

if( !fi.uncompressed_size || sio2StringTok( name, ".DS_" ) )
   {
      unzGoToNextFile( _SIO2resource->uf );
      return;
   }

if( unzOpenCurrentFilePassword( _SIO2resource->uf, _password ) == UNZ_OK )
   {

To create password protected archive use the following command on the output directory:

cd /OutputDirectory/

zip -9 -o -e Scene.sio2 -r *
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

Back to top Go down

Post  autology Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:20 pm

A follow-up question on this topic:

Would password-protecting a zip file fall under any type of encryption export restrictions? I have minimal experience with this topic but noticed it came up quite often in the developer guidelines on the app store.

autology

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum