FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MPEG-4 Video Playback?

4 posters

Go down

MPEG-4 Video Playback? Empty MPEG-4 Video Playback?

Post  oldprogrammer Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:01 pm

How can I use this awesome engine for MPEG-4 playback? I managed to get video playback on an EAGLView from one of the tutorials, but I had to transcode my video to the theora format using the ffmpeg2theora program. Somewhere in my transcoding from MPEG-4 to Theora or in the way I had to manipulate the EAGLView, my video quality degraded considerably.

So if there's a way to play MPEG-4 directly, that would be awesome.

Thanks for any advice or help (perhaps even just pointing me to a helpful tutorial or doc) that you can give!

oldprogrammer

Back to top Go down

MPEG-4 Video Playback? Empty Re: MPEG-4 Video Playback?

Post  meteors Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:30 pm

SIO2widget. But you need to convert to ogg format.

Try media-convert.com

Check tutorial07.

best,
-joshua
meteors
meteors

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:33 pm

For MPEG-4:

MPEG-4 contains patented technologies that require licensing in countries that acknowledge software patents. Patents covering MPEG-4 are claimed by over two dozen companies. The MPEG Licensing Authority[1] licenses patents required for MPEG-4 Part 2 Visual from a wide range of companies (audio is licensed separately) and lists all of its licensors and licensees on the site. New licenses for MPEG-4 System patents are under development[2] and no new licenses are being offered while holders of its old MPEG-4 Systems license are still covered under the terms of that license for the patents listed (MPEG LA – Patent List).
AT&T is trying to sue companies such as Apple Inc. over alleged MPEG-4 patent infringement.[3] The terms of Apple's Quicktime 7 license for users[4] describes in paragraph 14 the terms under Apple's existing MPEG-4 System Patent Portfolio license from MPEGLA.

For Theora:

Theora is a free and open video compression format from the Xiph.org Foundation. Like all our multimedia technology it can be used to distribute film and video online and on disc without the licensing and royalty fees or vendor lock-in associated with other formats.

Trust me you don't want to go the MPEG4 way Wink
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  oldprogrammer Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:22 pm

Thanks, guys, I've got it working for the most part. I am having a problem with video quality still. If my video is 320x380, are these the settings I would want if I need the video to remain at 320x380? My video seems really fuzzy like it was shrunk down and then re-enlarged. But I'm not sure if it's my SIO2Widget or if I lost the quality during the Theora transcoding.

_SIO2widget->_SIO2transform->scl->x = 320.0f;
_SIO2widget->_SIO2transform->scl->y = 380.0f;
_SIO2widget->_SIO2transform->loc->x = 0.5f;
_SIO2widget->_SIO2transform->loc->y = 0.5f;

Also, I've noticed that the video runs a lot slower on the iPhone itself than in the Simulator. Any advice on how to handle that?

And thank you so much for the quick response earlier and for such a great, open source project!

oldprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  meteors Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:09 am

You should try using a lower resolution and scaling up, like tutorial07. This will consume less CPU.

Apologies if you have already tried this.

Best,
-j
meteors
meteors

Back to top Go down

Post  aheirich Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm

oldprogrammer wrote:How can I use this awesome engine for MPEG-4 playback? I managed to get video playback on an EAGLView from one of the tutorials, but I had to transcode my video to the theora format using the ffmpeg2theora program. Somewhere in my transcoding from MPEG-4 to Theora or in the way I had to manipulate the EAGLView, my video quality degraded considerably.

So if there's a way to play MPEG-4 directly, that would be awesome.

Thanks for any advice or help (perhaps even just pointing me to a helpful tutorial or doc) that you can give!

Look at the MoviePlayer example in the Apple documentation. I was able to integrate this into an SIO2 app to play a splash screen, but I had to play the movie before starting the SIO2 animation otherwise they fought for the screen.

If you just want to play a movie, and don't necessarily need to use the SIO2 engine to do so, then just look at the MoviePlayer example.

aheirich

Back to top Go down

Post  oldprogrammer Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 pm

The problem I had with MoviePlayer is that it requires the full screen. I'm not doing a splash screen with SIO2, but instead am trying to play a movie on only part of the screen. I can't seem to find any other solution for this.

oldprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down