FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max poly limit

3 posters

Go down

Max poly limit Empty Max poly limit

Post  grinder Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi,
I know, at the beginning of a project this is not a good question. But as Sio2 didn't mention what is the volume of the poly that it may able to handle per sec, that's why I'm interested to know it.

Moreover, there is a long way to go to be mature. But it is fantastic. It's architecture is fabulous. Is there any plan for scene graph management? Networking need to implement also.

Keep going. Smile

-- Grinder

grinder

Back to top Go down

Max poly limit Empty Re: Max poly limit

Post  sio2interactive Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:49 am

Well the maximum is not determined by SIO2 but by the device, depending on what you are doing I would say around 5k ~ 6k with lights and physic.

>> Moreover, there is a long way to go to be mature.

Yeah well like the package say v1.1 Wink Thats the 1st implementation of the framework and its going to continue growing over the following month. (with the help of the community of course Wink).

>> scene graph management?

The term can be quite large what exactly do you mean?

>> Networking need to implement also.

At the moment honestly I didn't think about it, cuz most games are using their own custom communication protocol, Im not sure that creating a "generic" communication protocol would be a good idea since it would be too "generic" and at the end will only slow things down. But if someone want to create specs. etc... I would be more than happy to integrate it to the core...

Cheers,
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  grinder Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks for your reply.

Currently only View Frustum culling available, there is no Spatial partitioning like BSP or other culling like HOM. If Sio2 used it then rendering volume will increase.

Yet I'm confused about number of poly in iPhone. Do you know how many poly will be standard for iPhone? Like in PC it is 300-400k.

>>own custom communication protocol

What do you mean by it? Is it Bluetooth or WiFI?

And of course everybody in this community want to make it mature.

GodSpeed
-- Grinder

grinder

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Currently only View Frustum culling available, there is no Spatial partitioning like BSP or other culling like HOM. If Sio2 used it then rendering volume will increase.

>>>> This should be added pretty soon, probably the first one will be OCTREE

Yet I'm confused about number of poly in iPhone. Do you know how many poly will be standard for iPhone? Like in PC it is 300-400k.

>>>> I already answer that question: Well the maximum is not determined by SIO2 but by the device, depending on what you are doing I would say around 5k ~ 6k with lights and physic.

>>own custom communication protocol

What do you mean by it? Is it Bluetooth or WiFI?

>>>> I mean that every game need to use TCP/IP a different way so I think that a "generic" communication protocol might not be the best solution...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

Back to top Go down

Post  exavi Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:41 am

I was thinking about the polycount, I know that this is one of the reasons that may cause fps go down, along with physics and lights and this kind of stuff, but, if I make the viewport smaller, is it supposed to render even more triangles without much fps change, right?

I mean, right now the proportions are 4:3 like a normal TV or so, if i make them more like 1.85:1 I can give it more "film look" and I will be able to handle more polygons also, right?

exavi

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:07 am

Not really, that doesn't matter, the limit comes from the # of triangles/commands that you are sending to process, the device have a specific bandwidth size for processing them. Every graphic commands that you send affect this bandwidth... so if you do the math on that, it have nothing to do with the viewport itself (well of course less pixel to process will affect the FPS) but a full screen app with a FOV or 65 degree or 45 degree won't change much... but have something to do with the physical limit of that bandwidth and how much it "cost" in processing power to execute them as well as how many pixels are affected by it...

In a "real game" scenario, you are rendering multiple objects with different form and transformations, different materials and texture etc... this is why SIO2 is build to avoid redundant machine states changes for texture, materials, geometry etc... in order to be able to have more triangles rendered per frame, to limit the size of the commands send to the pipeline in order to optimize the drawing.
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum