FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Apple thinking?

3 posters

Go down

What is Apple thinking? Empty What is Apple thinking?

Post  sgreenwalt Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Not sure what category I should post this to. I am guessing that someone in this forum will be able to answer my questions about Apple.

1. The apple dev contract allows them to refuse any program for any reason and without explanation.
Questions:
1a. In practice, if the game is solid (and fun) . . . will Apple put it into the AppStore?
1b. Do I need to worry about expending time and resources . . . only to be denied admittance to the AppStore without explanation?

2. Apple seems to be hiding market data about AppStore traffic volume, etc.
Questions:
2a. Is there any way (even indirectly) to forecast sales volume (assuming the app is high quality and there is demand for the app).
2b. Does Apple expect us to just jump into this with a 'leap of faith' and without ANY data to go on?

3. Apple seems to be hiding what the factors are that affect list position in the AppStore.
Questions:
3a. Is there any guidance ANYWHERE regarding how Apple evaluates list position?

Any help on these matters will be greatly appreciated!

sgreenwalt

Back to top Go down

What is Apple thinking? Empty Re: What is Apple thinking?

Post  sio2interactive Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 pm

1. The apple dev contract allows them to refuse any program for any reason and without explanation.
Questions:
1a. In practice, if the game is solid (and fun) . . . will Apple put it into the AppStore?

>> Maybe, maybe not only Apple define what is solid and fun...

1b. Do I need to worry about expending time and resources . . . only to be denied admittance to the AppStore without explanation?

>> Its the risk that everyone is taking right now... there is some basic guidelines but no formula exists....

2. Apple seems to be hiding market data about AppStore traffic volume, etc.
Questions:
2a. Is there any way (even indirectly) to forecast sales volume (assuming the app is high quality and there is demand for the app).

>> Not that I know off... it really depends what you consider high quality... lemme remind you that iFart (or whatever the name was), was #1... which brings me back to your question #1 Wink

2b. Does Apple expect us to just jump into this with a 'leap of faith' and without ANY data to go on?

>> You got it dude, I can't think of any better words to use...

3. Apple seems to be hiding what the factors are that affect list position in the AppStore.
Questions:
3a. Is there any guidance ANYWHERE regarding how Apple evaluates list position?

>> Not they I know off except the basic more you sell more on top you are...

Cheers,
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sgreenwalt Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:29 pm

Just what I thought.

I just needed someone else to confirm it . . . on the surface it's a bit hard to believe.

Thanks for your help.

sgreenwalt

Back to top Go down

What is Apple thinking? Empty RE: What is Apple Thinking

Post  cdicelico Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:11 am

Probably the best way to answer these questions would be to really study the App Store in iTunes. There, you can see what games are in the top 10 in each genre, overall, &etc. You can also see what games get a high volume of ratings (indication of number of downloads) and a high number of high ratings (indication of the game's appeal). You can also look at what kinds of people are buying iPhones and iPod Touches. You can also use Google to find some iPhone/iPod Touch market data. From this info, you can get some very basic market research data, telling you what kinds of games do really well and what kinds Apple allows into the store. Judging from the wide spectrum of quality in games in the App Store, their standards must not be incredibly high. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Plus, if they don't allow you to sell the game on their App Store, there's no reason why you can't just sell it on your own website, at least not that I know of. If you have the budget, you can hire a professional market research company to find all this data for you, but this is pretty expensive and only really feasible if you're a big company. Indies will have to do their own rudimentary market research, which - in my opinion - is sufficient, really.

cdicelico

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum