FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

calculate an angle rotation from a direction vector

2 posters

Go down

calculate an angle rotation from a direction vector Empty calculate an angle rotation from a direction vector

Post  geekschmoe Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:30 pm

I have a vector representing a direction and I want my character to 'face' that direction. I know how to rotate the character on its z-axis with sio2 using SIOTransform 'rot' vector, but I need an angle for that (0->360 or -180->180 i think). I think i only need the X and Y values from the direction vector since its only rotating around one axis, so that would be a simple 2D operation. I'm thinking of a function that would take 2 vector arguments and return the angle between those 2 vectors.

What's the best way to do this in SIO2? Definitely a beginner question. Any help is appreciated.

geekschmoe

Back to top Go down

calculate an angle rotation from a direction vector Empty Re: calculate an angle rotation from a direction vector

Post  geekschmoe Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:15 am

OK so I figured it out. Simple 2D math (but theres no such thing as 'simple' math to me). On the offshoot that someone could be as beginner as me, here's how I calculated it.

Code:
player->SIO2transform->rot->z = atan2(directionVector->y, directionVector->x) * 180 / M_PI;

geekschmoe

Back to top Go down

calculate an angle rotation from a direction vector Empty Re: calculate an angle rotation from a direction vector

Post  sio2interactive Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:58 am

Hummm maybe more safe to do this:

Code:

float a = asinf( _v->x / hypotf( _v->x, _v->y ) ) * SIO2_RAD_TO_DEG;

if( _v->y < 0.0f )
   { a += 180.0f; }
   else
   { a = 360.0f - a; }

return a;

sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down