FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Several questions about the engine

3 posters

Go down

Several questions about the engine Empty Several questions about the engine

Post  exavi Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:20 am

Hi! I'm a last-year-student of computing science and I am planning to use SIO2 for my end-of-degree project (which is supposed to be some basic game maker or so). But before I start to work on my eod project I would like to know some things about SIO2.

Anyways I will use this for another personal project that I have planned but I would appreciate a lot your answers before I start working on my eod project I would like to know some things...

1. I don't know if theres support for animation or not and I would like to know that before writing some crappy-md2 importer Wink
I read on the technology section of the website that theres keyframe animation and skeletal animation but this skeletal animation thing has some star next to it and I read something about that it is temporary out... so I'm guessing that it just doesnt work right now but it will work later...
If keyframe animation works, this means that we can just export the animation baked with the mesh? because with this I don't mind about skeletal animation anymore Wink

2. Does "sio2->_SIO2window->fps" display the FPS? I mean if this has the frames per second count. I'm asking this because no matter what I load or display in the "viewport" it always stays at 60fps... even if it is just a simple text, some 1kfaces mesh or a 15k faces mesh...

3. Does it support multi-touch?

I've been reading some docs & samples from apple and it seems that with their stuff that can be handled. But I don't know if this can be done with the SIO2 touchMove() or screenTap() there's some "event" variable, but I don't know if it is the same as in the iPhone sdk, and in this case its not for this.

their sample:
Code:
// Handles the end of a touch event.
- (void)touchesEnded:(NSSet *)touches withEvent:(UIEvent *)event
{
    touchPhaseText.text = @"Phase: Touches ended";
    // Enumerates through all touch object
    for (UITouch *touch in touches){
      // Sends to the dispatch method, which will make sure the appropriate subview is acted upon
      [self dispatchTouchEndEvent:[touch view] toPosition:[touch locationInView:self]];
   }
}

4. I read the other day that there's the possibility of using normal maps inside the iPhone, is that right? does dot3 support Tangent Space? in this case, is it supported by hw or sw?

sorry for the long post, thanks for your help, and thanks for making this free!Smile

exavi

Back to top Go down

Several questions about the engine Empty Re: Several questions about the engine

Post  sio2interactive Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:25 pm

1. I don't know if theres support for animation or not and I would like to know that before writing some crappy-md2 importer
I read on the technology section of the website that theres keyframe animation and skeletal animation but this skeletal animation thing has some star next to it and I read something about that it is temporary out... so I'm guessing that it just doesnt work right now but it will work later...
If keyframe animation works, this means that we can just export the animation baked with the mesh? because with this I don't mind about skeletal animation anymore

>> There's no animation system at the moment, keyframe animation was implemented but I take it out because too many people complain that the optimization process was too slow. So you'd better write a crappy-md2 Wink

2. Does "sio2->_SIO2window->fps" display the FPS? I mean if this has the frames per second count. I'm asking this because no matter what I load or display in the "viewport" it always stays at 60fps... even if it is just a simple text, some 1kfaces mesh or a 15k faces mesh...

>> Check the tutorials, and make sure that you are doing everything correctly...

3. Does it support multi-touch?

I've been reading some docs & samples from apple and it seems that with their stuff that can be handled. But I don't know if this can be done with the SIO2 touchMove() or screenTap() there's some "event" variable, but I don't know if it is the same as in the iPhone sdk, and in this case its not for this.

>> Only 1 touch at the moment

4. I read the other day that there's the possibility of using normal maps inside the iPhone, is that right? does dot3 support Tangent Space? in this case, is it supported by hw or sw?

>> Yes, you have access to the dot3 opengl combiners.
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  zzajin Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:24 am

>> So you'd better write a crappy-md2

Are there no plans for skeleton based animation then? I was under the impression one was in the works.

zzajin

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Yes but lets just say that my todo list is long until I get there so... you'd better don't count on it in a near future...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down