FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couple problems with 1.3 tutorials

2 posters

Go down

Couple problems with 1.3 tutorials Empty Couple problems with 1.3 tutorials

Post  uprise78 Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:40 am

I'm seeing a few oddities with the new build.

Tutorial 6: 6_1 works fine but 6_2 where physics is done on a separate thread runs very choppy. It shows a render FPS of usually right around 25 and physics ranges from 6 - 18 or so but it runs super choppily.

Tutorial 12: When moving, the screen flickers to black and back until movement stops.

Both were run on the device.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Couple problems with 1.3 tutorials Empty Re: Couple problems with 1.3 tutorials

Post  uprise78 Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:30 pm

So, tutorial 6_2 (physics on separate thread) causes flicker because the physics FPS drops down to 5 or 6 sometimes which causes all forward movement (which uses the physics engine) to get very choppy. Side to side is still smooth because it doesnt rely on the physics FPS. It seems that in this case, 6_1 has an overall better feel for the end user even though physics are on the main thread.

I've no luck yet figuring out why any touch or touchesMoved makes the screen turn black in tutorial 12...

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:58 am

Tutorial 6: 6_1 works fine but 6_2 where physics is done on a separate thread runs very choppy. It shows a render FPS of usually right around 25 and physics ranges from 6 - 18 or so but it runs super choppily.

>> What type of device your are using, Im testing on iPod 2nd Gen and 6_2 the 2 thread on the iPod in release run never below 30, and when all objects are on the ground or Im moving around bouncing objects the 2 threads are almost constantly at 60fps...

Tutorial 12: When moving, the screen flickers to black and back until movement stops.

>> Have you try to clean all and rebuild, sounds to me that you are running an old version... that was causing problem with the new IO system... Once again on my iPod touch in release no problem... Just tested again (using Clean All Target) and build in release and push it on the device (firmware 2.1) no problem works perfectly... maybe double check...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  uprise78 Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:10 am

Ahhhh..I did a clean and rebuild for release and it seems to have cleared up most of the slowdown. I am using an iPhone with 2.2 firmware. Tutorial 6_2 is still a bit choppy but I am going to play around and see where it may lie.

Thanks.

uprise78

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:38 am

Maybe Try to change the priority of the thread, keep me posted...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down