FORUM CLOSED, PLEASE REGISTER AT FORUM.SIO2INTERACTIVE.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Animation - proposing a better way.

3 posters

Go down

Character Animation - proposing a better way. Empty Character Animation - proposing a better way.

Post  sgreenwalt Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 am

If you think this is a good idea, I will write it.

One problem with MD2 is that for every frame, it saves ALL vertex data . . . even for vertices that are static.

This results in much data redundancy and a larger file.

Maybe I am wrong about the above . . . but after reviewing the MD2 export script in Blender . . . I think I am correct.

Maybe we could tweak MD2 like so that.

1. The set of static (unchanging) vertices is specified only once.
2. Changing vertices are recorded frame-by-frame (as usual).

We would then have to update the SIO2 engine so that:

1. With every draw, it always draws the set of static vertices (always going back to that record).
2. Draws the changing vertices as usual.

This would reduce overall file size, and might even slightly improve rendering time.

By the way, the MD2 exporter in Blender (even the supposedly updated one) has serious flaws.

Is there a better option than MD2? Why not create our own (better) format?

What do you think?

Last edited by sgreenwalt on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

sgreenwalt

Back to top Go down

Character Animation - proposing a better way. Empty Re: Character Animation - proposing a better way.

Post  sio2interactive Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:14 am

What I think is that you haven't fully check the SIO2_SDK, a hint... check tutorial15 Wink

And in the next version the hybrid animation system of SIO2 include action strips... meaning that mesh and actions are now in separated file... Wink
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Character Animation - proposing a better way. Empty Re: Character Animation - proposing a better way.

Post  sgreenwalt Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

By the way . . . what you have done is really just . . . amazing . . . astounding . . .

sgreenwalt

Back to top Go down

Character Animation - proposing a better way. Empty skinned meshes for animated characters?

Post  Hector_2009 Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Just check version 1.4 and it's very nice to have actions separated from objects. Inside actions, however, all vertices positions and normals are recorded for all keyframes. Just wondering is it possible to have skinned meshes for animated characters, in which case the storage required would be much less and the visual effect could be smoother. Just my 2cents.

Thanks

Hector_2009

Back to top Go down

Post  sio2interactive Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:39 pm

The idea is that you DO NOT insert every frame of the animation... only the one that matters...

And if you really want skeletal animation Im telling you that you cannot have more than 5 rag dolls animated characters...
sio2interactive
sio2interactive

http://sio2interactive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down